Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Having compassion

In small group and sunday school lately we have discussed compassion and loving others like God loves us. Generally I hear comments from people like "you are so nice", "you could never be mean to anyone" but honestly I don't think that is true. Mainly for one reason and that is my relationship with this kid Andrew. It is really weird for me to admit that I actually am struggling with being nice to someone. I don't know what it is that makes me so angry when I am around him but up until this point I haven't been handling it well. I even made a comment at youth group saying that I didn't consider him a person. My very close friends pointed out to me afterwards that I was being completely nasty to him and he genuinley seemed hurt by it. Not wanting to admit that I was wrong at first I asked Noah if I was "too mean" to him and he replied that no I wasn't. As I have been praying since then I have been realizing that in an outsider guys perspective I wasn't to mean but to Andrew and to a girl's perspective I was very mean and was not a good example of Jesus to him. As an older member of the youth group I should always try to set a good example of compassion and Jesus' love to everybody no matter if I have had issues with them. Tonight at small group I asked the girls in the group to hold me accountable to be friendly and compassionate to him and everyone I come in contact with.

No comments: